Unsung Python modules

Justin Sheehy justin at iago.org
Sat Dec 15 14:56:10 EST 2001

Michael Hudson <mwh at python.net> writes:

>> One reason that a lot of people might not think of this is that it's
>> not needed if you're using Python's interactive mode in an emacs
>> inferior shell buffer alongside Python-mode.
>
> Can you get completion in python-mode?  Or multi-line editing?

Not in the same way that you can from readline.

I get completion via emacs' dynamic abbrevs, which are wonderful but
complete mainly based on the contents of current buffers.  For
completion of names in my own code or code that I have loaded into
another buffer somewhere, this works beautifully.

I haven't needed multi-line editing exactly, since I'm already inside
an editor.  If I want to redo an earlier action slightly differently,
I just type or modify it in an editor buffer and have python-mode
evaluate that block.

I certainly wouldn't argue that readline is useless.  However,
python-mode provides different yet strongly overlapping functionality
and thus a python-mode user is much less likely to feel the need for
readline behavior.

-Justin