Python Script

Lulu of the Lotus-Eaters mertz at gnosis.cx
Mon Dec 31 17:52:28 EST 2001

|I have found a python script I wish to use
|I use OpenBSD 3.0, which of these
|packages do I need to install to get it to run. The
|header line is  #!/usr/bin/env python2
|
|      python-2.1.1-threads.tgz
|      python-2.1.1-tk-threads.tgz
|      python-2.1.1-tk.tgz
|      python-2.1.1.tgz
|      python-tools-2.1.1.tgz

One can't tell what you need to install based on what you describe.
You'll certainly need the base Python (and I'm not sure whether that
OpenBSD distribution will call the executable 'python' or 'python2'; you
might need to create a link and/or change the header of the script).

Which other packages you'll need depends on which 'import XXXX' or
'from XXXX import YYYY' lines occur in the script.  Usually, but not
always, these sort of lines occur near the top of the script.  These are
Python's way of requiring library functions (potentially including some
in the other packages you mention, or in packages you do not mention).

On the plus side, if running fails, Python gives pretty good traceback
messages that give you a quick idea about which imports failed.  A few
incremental installs should work things out if you want to install the
minimum necessary.

Yours, Lulu...

--
 mertz@   _/_/_/_/_/_/_/ THIS MESSAGE WAS BROUGHT TO YOU BY:_/_/_/_/ v i
gnosis  _/_/                    Postmodern Enterprises         _/_/  s r