A new message board is up

Andrew Dalke dalke at dalkescientific.com
Thu Dec 27 05:15:21 EST 2001

Andrew Nguyen wrote:
>A new message board (that doesn't have the Usenet delay) is up!

>Also, usenet SUXXOR (sucks) because itttt issss soooo
>cunfuseeeng... Why not switch to an EZBoard? Why have maling
>lists that are too confusing?  I for one say that we create a
> NEW forum!

But it does require a login, registration, including address,
income(!), and marital status(!!) information, and a 300 line
license agreement.  Since it's a web based system there's also
a lack of good search system, no way to add your own filters,
no support for off-line reading, killing a thread, archive
messages, or all those other features Usenet readers have
accumulated over time.  I don't think it can scale up to
several hundred messages a day, like c.l.py has.

Finally, it's a highly moderated list, and the moderator has
the ability to not only kill a thread but can apparently decide
who can and cannot particiate.

I'll stick with a bit of delay.  But then, I started reading
usenet on a CDC Cyber machine in '89, so what do I know of
these new-fanged gee-haws.  :)

                    Andrew
                    dalke at dalkescientific.com