Compiling Python with Tkinter

Martin von Loewis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Sun Dec 16 17:04:00 EST 2001

Ben Ocean <zope at thewebsons.com> writes:

> In file included from ./Modules/_tkinter.c:45:
> /opt/tcltk/include/tk.h:83:29: X11/Xlib.h: No such file or directory
>
> This file does *not* exist, anywhere:
>
> #find / -name "Xlib.h"
> #find / -name "X11*"
> /usr/bin/X11
> /usr/lib/X11
> /usr/X11R6
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11
> /var/cache/man/X11R6
> /etc/X11

X11/Xlib.h is supposed to be in the same location that has the X
libraries, typically /usr/include/X11, or /usr/X11R6/include/X11. If
you really don't have the headers, you most likely cannot compile
_tkinter.

Since you still did not mention what system you are using, it is hard
to suggest a procedure for installing the headers.

> I never use XWindows, so I'm wondering if it's even installed properly, or
> if I really need it for Tkinter. Your advice?

As an aside: "It's a window system called X, not a system called XWindows."

What do you mean, you don't use it? Don't you use any kind of grapical
interface (web browsers, and the like)? Or are you merely not
developing applications for X11?

Regards,
Martin