/usr/bin/env: python: No such file or directory

Trond Eivind Glomsrød teg at redhat.com
Tue Dec 18 15:37:08 EST 2001

Donn Cave <donn at u.washington.edu> writes:

> Quoth Fernando Prez <fperez528 at yahoo.com>:
>
> | If redhat is too lazy to upgrade their code in anaconda and other
> | tools to use python2, at least they could have the courtesy of
> | putting explicitly python1.5 calls in their OWN stuff, instead of
> | forcing upon their users a broken convention.
> |
> | I normally use mandrake (had been away from redhat for years) and
> | only last week was forced to deal with redhat again. What an ugly,
> | messy excuse for a linux distribution.
>
> Does mandrake use Python for system software?

They use perl. Somehow, that didn't surprise me ;).

> It's too bad it has to be that way.  On one hand, it's unrealistic to
> expect all developers to foresee this problem, and on the other it
> seems pretty expensive for small to medium projects - maybe Redhat can
> afford to tuck away 10Mb of their own python for their system software,
> but even for them it's probably not exactly a selling point for Python.

Well, we have pretty good control over which python we use in the
installer and in the distribution...

> Why won't Redhat upgrade their software?

Compatiblity. Programs for RHL 7 should run just fine on 7.2 as well.

When we start a new series, we will upgrade to the newest python
available at the time, port the software using python to that and
stick with this release for that series of Red Hat Linux releases.

--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.