Deprecate tabs for indenting (was Re: Indenting with tabs vs spaces)

Courageous jkraska at san.rr.com
Sun Dec 2 23:37:44 EST 2001

On Sun, 2 Dec 2001 19:57:44 -0800, "Peoter Veliki"
<peoter_veliki at hotmail.com> wrote:

>Perhaps this is besides the point of the original posting, but......
>
>With tabs, each person can set the indenting width to whatever value he/she
>likes best.  As one person pointed out, a tab is a variable.  This
>flexibility is tantamount to a "separation of style and content".  This is
>an argument *for* using tabs.

Until tabs and spaces are mixed, and then we have a living nightmare.

I see this in other programming languages all the time, where someone
comes along with a different tab notion than mine, edits the file, and
then commits it. This creates horribly formatted files where the
indentation levels of lines of code throughout the file.

But this is all academic, because the defacto and near dejure standard
for Python is 4 spaces per indentation level. Tabs are deprecated.

Insert tabs if you like. I predict you will annoy lots of other Python
programmers, when you begin to work with them.

C//