Python Popularity: Questions and Comments

mlorfeld matt at lorfeld.com
Fri Dec 28 02:24:17 EST 2001

> How is Python doing popularity wise?
I'd have to say that with most developers that have tried it it is
very popular (ok so that wasn't too specific).  I heard that ILAM
(Industrial Light and Magic) basically standardized on Python for
their projects (most notably Star Wars Ep. 1&2)

>From a programmer's perspective (albiet a young soon-to-be CS grad) I
like Python's flexibility.  I like how it is OO, yet at the same time
has many procedural characteristics.  I also haven't quite been sold
on the data-centric model that C++/Java implement, granted that does
mean you have to do some extra type-checking.  I also like the fact
that it is an evolving language, with from what I can see, a great
bazaar style approach: In its 1.5.2 iteration, Python was intriguing,
yet it lacked some essential things (such as a Perlesque chomp), then
I took a look at 2.x and the strip function was implemented - saving
me a great deal of repetition in programming.