Python Popularity: Questions and Comments (fwd)

Lulu of the Lotus-Eaters mertz at gnosis.cx
Thu Dec 27 16:25:10 EST 2001

Justin Sheehy <justin at iago.org> wrote:
|A very large portion of software is never sold directly, and thus
|doesn't ever get promoted in the fashion that I think you are looking for.
|The software that I am talking about is developed for use internally
|at a given company, either internally-developed or by contractors.

>From what I have read, well over 90% of software is developed and used
internally by organizations.  95% or even 98% would not seem at all
absurd to me, and I have read estimates in that sort of range.

Certainly, my own experience is consistent with this.  Even at those
companies I have worked for that sold software, as much software was
developed for internal use as for sale.  But the majority of contracts I
have done have been on 100% internal-usage projects.

Yours, Lulu...