State of the SysAd art (was: vi or emacs for editing Python on Linux?)

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Mon Dec 24 18:43:00 EST 2001

In article <slrna2f8n3.b4n.grey at teleute.dmiyu.org>,
Steve Lamb  <morpheus at here.not.there> wrote:
			.
>    *sigh*  Fine,you had to bring it up.  Michael, I *do* work on unix
>systems scattered across the nation and my personal workspace is not on every
>single one.  You know what is, though?  ssh.  That means scp is there so when
>I need to get something to/from that machine I can always scp to another
>machine, edit, scp back.
>
>    Furthermore, when it comes to programming, I would hope that a company
>that has machines all over the world would have learned the joys of a CVS
>server which would also fill in on the above.  Edit on one machine, commit,
>ssh to the machine that needs it, cvs update.
			.
			.
			.
Does this match others' experience?  I continue to
run into plenty of production hosts which have barely
been maintained for up to four years, let alone
outfitted with such new-fangled decorations as a
properly-installed ssh.

Do I hang around industrial environments too much?
--

Cameron Laird <Cameron at Lairds.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net