references for shifting from Py1.5.2 to Py2.2?

Joshua Muskovitz joshm at taconic.net
Wed Dec 26 18:35:41 EST 2001

Hi all,

After a long hiatus, I'm returning to the Python community.  I haven't
touched Python since 1.5.2, and I'd like to climb the curve to 2.2 as
quickly as possible.  What are the definitive references for making the
transition?  No beginner books, please.  I'm a proficient developer, and I
really understood 1.5.2 pretty well.

I really liked Beazley's _Python Essential Reference_, as it got me up to
speed on 1.5.2 exactly as I needed.  (It was essentially the equivalent of
K&R's book on C in structure and brevity.)  Is there a new edition, or are
there other places where one can find the interim information?  I know there
have been a lot of enhancements to the language, and I'd like to not be
stuck in the 1.x paradigms, but on the other hand, there are a lot of really
terrible tech books in the universe, and I don't have the cash to buy blind.

One thing I *don't* need is a porting guide -- I'm not trying to move *code*
from 1.5.2 to 2.2, just my own understanding of the language for my own
future projects.

Help!

-- josh