stackless python

Bill Tate tatebll at aol.com
Wed Dec 19 13:38:52 EST 2001

"John DeWeese" <deweese at usc.edu> wrote in message news:<9vpjds$due$1 at usc.edu>...
> Hello, I'm a python newbie interested in using stackless python to support
> hundreds of simulation objects for a game. I've checked out various articles
> and it sounds great, and I've visited stackless.com. Seems that branch is
> becoming a bit dated. I also see that some features such as generators (not
> relevant to me) have made it into python 2.2. So, what's up, can anyone
> share their experiences regarding stackless python, micro-threads, etc.?
>
> Thanks!

Real life - The largest implementation I've seen was done by gordon
mcmillan while I was working for a particular company that shall
remain anonymous - CBI applies unfortunately.  Gordon's implementation
was very stable, fast, and scalable.  I think you might some useful
information on gordon's site - some of its dated - but it does a
pretty good job of driving home certain key concepts.  I don't think
you can go wrong here given that continuations are so damn lightweight
and they work beautifully with non-blocking sockets.  If your going to
be doing network-based game development, sounds like a good fit to me.