Python CPAN beta test

Bryan bryan at eevolved.com
Thu Dec 13 23:50:03 EST 2001

On Thursday 13 December 2001 07:45 pm, Suchandra Thapa wrote:
>     I've gotten ciphon to the point where I tihnk it's ready for beta
> testing and am looking for people willing to help test it.  Currently
> ciphon has readline support, dependency handling, automatic updates
> of server and package lists and a few other things.  There are
> currently 5 packages in the repository (wxpython, pygresql, numeric,
> pil, and egenix-mx-base) but I'll be adding more.
>     Basically, if you would like to beta test ciphon you can get the
> latest release by anonymous ftp from ftp.community.tummy.com (thanks
> to Sean Reifschneider) in  /pub/python-packages.  If there are any modules
> you would like to get into the repository then email me a link to the
> module's homepage and I'll try to add it to the repository.
>     If you're an author and want to help me in getting your module
> included in the repository, then you can just grab the ciphon tar ball,
> run the createspec.py script in the utils directory, and email me the
> generated file along with a location where I can get the source for
> your module.

Congratulations, and thank you. The readline support is a nice touch.
Unfortunately I have not been able to successfully install a package with
ciphon-0.3. Whether by RPM or not, the fetch and build process runs as
expected but afterwards dies with the helpful message:

Error installing package: Installing package
Giving up...

Specs: i586, python 2.1.1, gcc 2.96

I wanted to track this down so I went into ~/.config/ and
manually issued a "setup.py install". The module installed fine. I returned
to ciphon and did a "list" only to find my newly installed module not there
:( PyGreSQL ). A quick browse of install.py shows that an exception is raised
in the __install() method of the Installer class. My debugging print
statements aren't appearing, so I will continue to investigate and send what
I have so far to you.

On another note, I was writing a ciphon mini-howto as I used ciphon for the
first time. I also have a distutils module I would like to see included (
http://eevolved.com/cryptkit/ ) and wonder if a web-based submission system
or simple ftp access for authors might be envisaged to ease the task of
updating with new versions? Also, how does one go about being a ciphon module
server?

Please find attached  the xml spec for cryptkit.

Sorry about all the questions, but your work is promising :)
- --
Bryan Mongeau
eEvolved Inc.
Website: http://eevolved.com
Public key: http://pgp.mit.edu

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education."-- Einstein