Cygwin socket library status enquiry

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Tue Dec 18 17:33:21 EST 2001

news:uu1uoi72e.fsf at python.net...

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=5470&atid=105470&func=detail&aid=48
> > 9709
> >
> > and it apparently looks like it won't be fixed in the 2.2 timeframe --
it
> > needs attention from the Cygwin team, who aren't synchronized to Python
> > releases. So I have just added a note that the bug applies to
2.2c1/Win98 as
> > well. We'll see what happens...
>
> Well, that bug is assigned to me, and there's a comment (also from me)
> describing how to get round it (build _socket statically), which is
> duplicated in the README (in a section written by me and Jason and
> checked in by me) to the same effect.
>
> It's safe to say I knew about this <wink>.  I should have warned you
> about it, though -- sorry about that.

That's OK, feel free to waste any amount of my time <wink> ... I should have
read the bug information more assiduously.

> > I'll see what I need to omit to get it to build, and follow up if I
> > make progress.
>
> You need to build _socket statically.

OK, that's happening right now...

> I might see if I can bodge setup.py so that it screams at you if you
> try to build a dynamic _socket module on cygwin.

That probably wouldn't be a bad idea if it doesn't need non-standard coding.
Fancy expecting people to read the README file ... sheesh!

Boy, these tests take a long time on a Celeron 300. Wish Santa would bring
me something a little bit faster. [Hums tunelessly, twiddles thumbs...]. If
it passes all its tests I'm going to install it and build mxODBC to test
that web server code.

Hmm ... I have an idea this test might never end. I'll see if I can leave
the laptop running on the drive home. At least the system compiled! I'll get
back to you.

regards
 Steve
--