two questions - sockets / c functions

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Tue Dec 11 08:03:50 EST 2001

"Oleg Broytmann" <phd at phd.pp.ru> wrote in message
> On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 08:47:47PM +0100, Laura Creighton wrote:
> > The only thing Oleg forgot to tell you was that sockets don't work on
> > Windows
>
>    Sockets don't work on Windows? It is nice to hear, but I do not beleive
> it! What do you mean?!

Perhaps Laura is using the cygwin implementation. I have just been
experimenting with a bunch of servers that run fine in the standard windows
environment. Under cygwin usually something (and I currently have no idea
what) gets jammed after a few client interactions, and netstat -a reveals
many sockets in WAIT_STATE or WAIT_STATE2 (from memory).

I was disappointed, having just got mxODBC to work on cygwin, that this
wasn't more effective. Unfortunately I have neither the time nor the C
expertise to put this right, so I'm hoping someone better suited to the task
will take a look at it. I'm not even sure whether I need to report this as a
bug yet (ISTR this is a known problem) , but I'll be doing some research in
the next week or two.

Might be different under NT, but under 98 2E it appears to be broke.

regards
 Steve
--
http://www.holdenweb.com/