Do 2.2 and 2.1.1coexist well?

David C. Ullrich ullrich at math.okstate.edu
Thu Dec 6 13:29:59 EST 2001

On Wed, 5 Dec 2001 23:29:44 -0500, "Tim Peters" <tim.one at home.com>
wrote:

>[David C. Ullrich]
>> I imagine it's true nonetheless that the 2.x install is not
>> going to change the 1.5 registry entries, eh? (Not if I
>> back them up first, anyway...)
>
>Nothing has actually changed since the last time I answered this <wink>:

Right. (_Something_'s changed since the last time you answered
the question of whether Python looked in the registry for
PYTHONPATH, though... changing the value of PYTHONPATH in
the registry _does_ have a definite effect on what Python 1.5.2
does or does not find. At least when a *.py is started
through the shell. Uh, wink.)

>no, except the registry entries for Windows-mandated one-of-a-kind shared
>resources, like (a) file extension associations, and (b)
>
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\
>    Software\
>    Microsoft\
>    Windows\
>    CurrentVersion\
>    App Paths\
>    Python.exe
>
>which tells Windows which version of Python to run when you, e.g., enter
>plain "python" from the Start -> Run box and haven't fiddled your Windows
>PATH to pick up some other version of Python before it.
>
>Just try it!  If you don't like it, you can uninstall it.  The 2.2 installer
>undoes everything the installer did, including restoration of file
>extensions etc.

David C. Ullrich