Detection of subsequent data by poll()

Donn Cave donn at u.washington.edu
Thu Dec 6 18:41:46 EST 2001

Quoth rupe at metro.yak.net (Rupert Scammell):
| > | I recently wrote a program that uses the select.poll() method in order
| > | check for incoming data on multiple listening sockets.  When I open a
| > | connection to one of the listening sockets (e.g. via telnet), the
| > | program accepts the first item of data sent (a character string with a
| > | trailing CRLF).  However, subsequent calls to poll() never appear to
| > | detect more strings sent in the same connection to this socket.  The
| > | file descriptors for the sockets are all correctly registered with the
| > | poll object.
| > |
| > | Is there a way to make poll() detect this incoming data without having
| > | to close and re-open a connection to the socket in question each time?
| > |
| > | Any suggestions would be appreciated!

| Per Donn Cave's request, the source of the program that's producing
| the problem is provided below.  The system in use is a RH Linux 6.2
| machine (x86 architecture), running kernel version 2.4.13.  Again, any
| assistance or insight into why the poll() call made against the poll
| object is failing to return more than the first sent line of data
| would be greatly appreciated.

In this program, poll() doesn't really detect the first line, either.
You register only the service sockets, so you detect connections.
Then on connect, you accept(), and you infer the existence of the
first line.

If you want poll() to see the first line, you have to register
the cur_conn_obj you get from accept().  This should make sense:
in general, if you want poll to tell you there's data to be read
on X, you must give it X to look at.

	Donn Cave, donn at u.washington.edu