mod_python vs mod_snake

Allan M. Wind allanwind at mediaone.net
Wed Dec 12 08:59:21 EST 2001

On 2001-12-12 11:28:10, Xavier Defrang wrote:
> Now the question is should I use mod_python or mod_snake?  Both have pros
> and cons... mod_python looks more mature, more documented and has a
> much simpler architecture than mod_snake.

There is also PyApache.  Suggest you spend a little time with each and
see which you like more.  mod_snake is a "thinner" layer on top of
apache's module interface than mod_python which more resemble mod_perl.
PyApache is "just" a cgi accelerator unlike the other two which allows
you to plug into apache's handlers (for instance, you would want
probably want to plug into the access handler if you want to do more
than basic authentication).

I like mod_snake more (in part because it claims support for Apache
2.x), but you might find that there are more people using mod_python
(e.g. more community knowledge / support).  PyApache would also satisfy
your need from how you describe your need and seem to most mature.

/Allan
Allan M. Wind			email: allanwind at mediaone.net
P.O. Box 2022			finger: awind at digit-safe.dyndns.org (GPG/PGP)
Woburn, MA 01888-0022