ciphon 0.3.4

Thomas Heller thomas.heller at ion-tof.com
Thu Dec 20 08:46:52 EST 2001

"Suchandra Thapa" <ssthapa at classes.cs.uchicago.edu> wrote in message news:slrna1utlm.53k.ssthapa at hepcat.telocity.com...

>     I've uploaded a new version of ciphon to sourceforge.net and to
> anonymous ftp at ftp.community.tummy.com.  The recent changes to ciphon
> are:
>
> Ciphon now supports distutils so it can be updated from within itself.
> Packages that ciphon installs are now recorded so that they won't have to
>   be downloaded again if they are a dependency.
> RPM should now work for modules that support the bdist_rpm option of distutils

I played a little bit with ciphon last night. It doesn't run here,
I'm using windows.

Several questions:
Can anyone suggest a tar.exe for win32 which can handle the 'tar zxvf <filename>'
command line?

How do I upload a package? Can ciphon do this?

It seems you only support gzip'd tar files or rpms. Are other formats
planned? What about binary distributions?
>From reading the source I got the impression that ciphon mostly spawns external
utilities. Can/should it be extended to use Python modules (gzip, zipfile,...)?

Regards,

Thomas