Deprecate tabs for indenting (was Re: Indenting with tabs vs spaces)

Courageous jkraska at san.rr.com
Thu Dec 6 13:43:03 EST 2001

>I can actually understand why one would want to do this, but in my
>tab-only private universe I move onto the next line after the opening
>bracket:
>
>  log.Fatal(
>      "Unexpected RETURN...\n"
>      "This is almost certainly..."

Sure. I do this if the other approach doesn't work. The other
approach is used to limit vertical use of space in the file, which
you can probably guess from my other examples is something I often
try to do. But note that if you run out of horizontal space, you'll
have to go down a line as you did, which I think is perfectly
reasonable.

My problem is with rules that disallow me the flexibility of doing
what I did. My problem is NOT with rules that allow you the
flexibility of doing what YOU did.

>This is similar to your first case. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of
>doing this kind of thing.

I often do it with single line cases in C, C++, and Java, for example.
I merely like to limit vertical space in some situations, if the
simplicity of the situation allows it.

C//