REPOST: Re: Python Popularity: Questions and Comments

Courageous jkraska at san.rr.com
Thu Dec 27 13:51:19 EST 2001

>I don't want programming to be forcibly OO. In Ruby, can you write
>a procedure which isn't part of a class? (Like you can in Python, but
>can't in Java). If not, then Ruby is forcing you to hammer square pegs
>into round holes.

I agree with you in spirit, however I should like to point out that
Python's module system puts your functions into a module object, indeed
making these functions completely object oriented, except without the
added syntactic weight. You have all of the benefits with syntactic
brevity at the same time, which would seem to satisfy the Occam's
Razor of programming, or at least to me.

C//

========= WAS CANCELLED BY =======: