An hour's talk on python...Suggestions required (from a newbie)

Chris Barker chrishbarker at attbi.com
Fri Dec 21 14:06:22 EST 2001

Karthik Gurumurthy wrote:

> I was planning to take an introductory session on python.

Good plan, I'm planning on doing the same thing myself someday. If you
put togetheer a good outline, perhaps you could post it somewhere for
all to use and comment on.

> I feel irrespective of how good the language is, not many
> w'd want to try it out unless and otherwise they can see lots of
> supporting tools and libraries.

Quite true and Python is very strong on this front. THe Standard library
is great, and there are a lot of independently developed modules that
are very usefull. Be sure to find a few that would be usefull to your
organisation. Some suggestions: PIL, Numeric, mxDateTime, mxODBC, etc...

> 2. about new features that have been included in 2.2?

No point in talking about new features if your listeners aren't familiar
with the old ones. However, presenting 2.2 is probably the way to go.

> 4. GUI : Tkinter

You might want to take a good look at other GUI options: wxPython, PyQT,
Jython/Swing, etc.

You sould probably find a few examples of tings you have used Python for
in your work. Examples of how you have solved problems quickly and
effectively will go over well. A "This is a great language, but I havn't
actually done anythong usefull with it" talkl, won't have the same
weight.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker,