PythonWare: Anyone using for real projects?

J.J. Dukarm jdukarm at hydracen.com
Fri Dec 14 14:36:14 EST 2001

Hi -

After using PythonWin a lot, and occasionally the Windows Notepad or IDLE,
for Python programming, I have recently switched to using Pythonware (after
owning it since it was first released) for all my Python work, including
one very large project with over 100 modules.

Pythonware's editor is usable, not as nice as the PythonWin editor, but
starting to get there. (I have not tried it in Linux). But the instant
access to all your project resources and all your Python documentation,
with a very good multi-module search/replace facility, is a huge plus. The
debugger works well, even if your software includes third-party components
such as wxPython or mxODBC, and even if your software does wierd things
with __import__. The distribution-building machinery actually seems to work
- I was able to build a shippable distribution of my first small project
with only about half an hour of fiddling, starting from complete ignorance
of how to do it.

It took me awhile to switch over to Pythonware because in earlier versions
I considered the editor not good enough, and I did not have the time to
figure out how to get along with the Pythonware project repository. With
versions 1.2 and 1.3, that has all changed. I do still use the Windows
Notepad for quickie Python scripts, but I am hoping that some day Secret
Labs will find a way to make the Pythonware editor more independent so that
(like the Notepad or vim) it can be used quickly on files that are not part
of a "project".

Jim Dukarm
DELTA-X RESEARCH
Victoria BC Canada