REPOST: Re: values of sys.platform? for a serial port lib

Chris Liechti cliechti at gmx.net
Sun Dec 30 07:33:22 EST 2001

Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote in
news:3C2E82A5.D4E1EEB3 at engcorp.com:
> Chris Liechti wrote:
>> i also have an optional argument to specify the port string, but when
>> this is used it isn't portable anymore.
>
> Just a thought, but could you make this the same argument as
> the port number, allowing either an integer or a string?
> I could also see a benefit, in a cross-platform serial-port app,
> in having a method to return the actual device name in use, for
> display/troubleshooting purposes, even if specified as a number.

minutes after i wrote the that message, i changed the code so that it is
the same argument that takes a number or a string.

i'll add a method to return the device name.

> You may know this already, but in Windows you need to use
> "overlapped" I/O operations if you want to be able to have
> a read thread and a write thread waiting independently on
> operations on the same serial port.  Without this, any time
> one thread is blocked waiting for results for its operation,
> the other thread will also block when it tries to access the
> device even if its operation would not otherwise block.
> (Or something like that... I don't know the full details
> behind it, only what I learned trying to implement a win32file-
> based serial port class which didn't have this limitation.)

it uses overlapped io. it's roughly based on the serial example that comes
with the win32all package.

chris

--
Chris <cliechti at gmx.net>