numerical packages for 1.5.2?

Mark Fardal fardal at coral.phys.uvic.ca
Fri Dec 7 18:11:16 EST 2001

Fernando Pérez <fperez528 at yahoo.com> writes:

> > Given that restriction, what version of Numeric should I be using?

> Why don't you just create a ~you/local/ directory and build py2.1
> there? It will take a half hour, and the improvements are
> substantial. You can just tell your friends to have an alias that
> points to ~you/local/bin/python for them to use it without upgrading
> anything.

So far I've failed to install the rpm for 2.1 on my own computer.
So has my sysop.  I doubt I'm going to manage installing 2.1 on
~10 different systems.  And I can't rule out people wanting to run the
code on systems I don't have access to.

Somebody must have used 1.5.2 at one point--what versions worked then?

> Just an idea, since you lose some important features with python<2.0
> for numeric (such as rich comparisons: a<b for a,b arrays returns a
> number in old python, but a full array of a[i]<b[i] for the newer
> versions. This can make writing certain algorithms much easier and
> they also perform faster as the looping is done in C).

What's wrong with less(a,b), besides uglier syntax?
I find a<b for a,b arrays returns an exception for me with Numeric 15.2.

Mark