Newbie : Installing Python locally in acct on shared server

brian donovan usenet at lophty.com
Sun Dec 2 11:30:15 EST 2001

Hi Chris,

	Yes, the below should work, but it doesn't. :(  I just did the steps as
outlined below and I'm getting the same bizarre result as previously.  A
helloworld script composed of a few print statements and ointed at my
install executes without a hitch, but importing a module causes a "500
Internal Server Error".  :/

	I tested with a number of extremely simple scripts using different
modules.  An example :

---------------------------------
#!/home/luser/bin/python

import sys

print "path has", len(sys.path), "members"
---------------------------------

another

---------------------------------
#!/home/luser/bin/python

import base64

MESSAGE = "life of brian"
data = base64.encodestring(MESSAGE)

original_data = base64.decodestring(data)

print "original : ", repr(MESSAGE)
print "encoded data : ", repr(data)
print "decoded data : ", repr(original_data)

	Any ideas?  The installation went off seemingly without a hitch.  and
everything seems to physically be "there", but scripts that import a
module die.

-brian