Python Hosting Questions

Dave Butler davebutlerREMOVE at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 15 14:16:40 EST 2001

I am searching for a new hosting company because my existing host does not
provides many services/technologies (like Python) that I would like to use.
While I evaluate potential hosts, I am uncertain as to which questions I
should be asking. Perhaps CLP can help me with my list of questions as it
relates to Python. Here are my Python questions for the web hosting
companies:

1) Which version of Python is installed (it seems it should be at least 2.0
or 2.1)
2) Is Mod_python supported?

Here are some questions I have for CLP:

1) Is Mod_python important if the web site will be very low volume and
activity? My understanding is Mod_python avoids starting a new process for
each CGI execution. This may not be that important in my uses. Any other
reasons to require Mod_python?
2) Is it important that the web host provide certain Python modules or is it
just as easy to install those modules I need in my own directories and
access them through PYTHONPATH? Are there certain Python-related
technologies that must be installed by the host and cannot be installed by
the user in their home directories?

I have found a potential hosting company, http://www.hostignition.com , that
offers Python, Perl, PHP4, and JSP/Servlets for $5/month. This seems almost
too good to be true. Any thoughts?

Any other advice on this search?

Thanks,

Dave Butler