[distutils] [win32] Where to put support DLL?

Gerhard Häring gh_pythonlist at gmx.de
Sun Dec 23 07:02:19 EST 2001

Some of the installers I build with distutils need "support DLLs", for
example the pyPgSQL win32 installer needs a DLL for PostgreSQL client
library.

I used to dump these into the Python directory itself, but recently I
noticed that this only works if the Python directory (where python.exe
is located) is in the PATH. I always do this, but it looks like the
Python installer (up to 2.1.1 at least) doesn't put the Python directory
in the PATH itself. Now, where's the best location to put such support
DLLs.

Putting the DLL in the same directory as the .pyd seems to work on
Windows NT 5.x, but I'm not sure about the inferior flavours of Windows
or even NT4 ...

I don't like putting them into the System(32) directory of Windows,
because I'd need to query environment variables or the registry for its
location at the time the installer *runs*, and I don't think distutils
has support for this. So it must be somewhere in the $PYTHONROOT
hierarchy.

Gerhard
--
mail:   gerhard <at> bigfoot <dot> de       registered Linux user #64239
web:    http://www.cs.fhm.edu/~ifw00065/    OpenPGP public key id 86AB43C0