vi or emacs for editing Python on Linux?

Lucio Torre lucio at movilogic.com
Fri Dec 21 17:51:57 EST 2001

maxm wrote:

>One of my biggest problems in switching is my editor. On windows I use
>Ultraedit as a general editor, and i type really fast in it. Knowing the
>shortcuts and all. Every time I boot up one of my Linux machines I have a
>hard time editing files under the arcane unix editors. I have tried both
>emacs and vim and I disklike both!
>
>I know this is close to religion. But are there any rational reasons to use
>one instead of the other for Python?

When programming in Linux i usually use vim, mainly because im used to
it, and because i use virtual consoles a lot. i can have 5 vims in
memory and i wont notice it.

but i think that if you have the oportunity to learn emacs, thats
something you should do. emacs is really powerfull.

and i think there is a version (commercial) of slickedit for linux. its
a great editor if you want to pay for one.

lucio

ps: i still hit escape on word.