threading module oddness

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Thu Dec 20 18:04:18 EST 2001

In article <mailman.1008285378.3076.python-list at python.org>,
Jason Orendorff <jason at jorendorff.com> wrote:

>2.  Principle of least surprise.  I think a guy who's done some
>    thread programming on Linux before, would likely expect Condition
>    to behave as though it had a pthread cond object inside -- on
>    Linux anyway.  ("Surely they're not duplicating kernel-level
>    features in Python...")  I'm no guru, but I'm guessing this
>    assumption could lead to the occasional subtle bug.

Possibly.  But any other way of working would likely be detrimental to
Python's cross-platform capabilities.

Also, it's my experience that 90% of the time that people think they want
to use any thread synchronization primitives other than RLock() and
Queue.Queue(), they're wrong.

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                 http://www.rahul.net/aahz/

Tenth Virtual Anniversary: 11 days and counting