Using Python with a webserver

Bill Tate tatebll at aol.com
Sat Dec 1 08:21:37 EST 2001

"Sam Scholey" <scholey at totalise.co.uk> wrote in message news:<daQN7.2123$qN3.627116 at news2-win.server.ntlworld.com>...
> Hey Folks
>
> I was interested in the prospect of using python with my webserver but a
> search on the python site and on deja produced virtually zero results. Can
> it be done? is it as easy as editing a few lines of code in the apache
> httpd.conf file?
>
> I am using Windows xp pro, apache 1.3.22 (for windows)
>
> Thanks Very Much

Sam,
Suggest you check out Mod_Python - do a google search and you should
get right to it. It configures like most apache modules and yields a
substantial performance boost over conventional CGI.  Some examples
are provided with the distribution and there is documentation with it.

If you are interested in doing servlet programming and taking
advantage of a persistence database connection pool - then you might
want to check out webware for python (on sourceforge).  I believe most
are targeting Apache for their webware configuration as opposed to
IIS.  The plug-in architecture of webware is nice and there are
numerous examples to help solidfy things.  It also has an active
discussion group to answer any questions you might have.

I don't know if there are any issues with running python 2.x on XP -
perhaps others might comment on that.

Bill