Linux Kernel Design and Why Python is Rad

Ric Werme werme at mediaone.net
Mon Dec 3 23:14:12 EST 2001

Jonathan Gardner <jgardn at alumni.washington.edu> writes:

>Check out this link: http://kerneltrap.org/article.php?sid=398

>Linus Torvalds on design: "Nothing successful has every been designed. It has
>evolved."

>Everyone else: "No wait a minute, that's not what this book says! And that's
>not what my teacher said!"

Everyone else has not read "The Mythical Man-Month"?  It states quite
clearly that you should "Plan to throw one away."  It's still one of the
few books on system design that's worth reading.

Jeez, kids these days....
--
"When we allow fundamental freedoms to be sacrificed in the name of real or
perceived emergency, we invariably regret it.   -- Thurgood Marshall
   Ric Werme                            | werme at nospam.mediaone.net
   http://people.ne.mediaone.net/werme  |       ^^^^^^^ delete