'ioctl ' call in python (serial port reading)

Markus Schaber use-net at schabi.de
Wed Dec 5 05:12:12 EST 2001

Hi,

On Tue, 04 Dec 2001 12:36:29 +0200
mixo <mixo at beth.uniforum.org.za> wrote:

> Yes, "unixoid Python incarnations" have the functions. But, here is the
> thing, in the above code, the variable "mdlns" is an integer, but
> "&mdlns" is an address. How do I get around that?

That's documented in the fnctl docu (at least the 2.1 version I read).

You pass a string containing the byte array you want to input. The module then copies the string to a new memory array, and passes this array's address. The modified memory array then is converted back to a string which is returned by the fnctl as function result.

You could convert your integers by hand, or use the struct module to do this.

markus
--
"GPL software is not free - the cost is cooperation"