/usr/bin/env: python: No such file or directory

Fernando Pérez fperez528 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 17 06:25:32 EST 2001

John W. Baxter wrote:

> Doing which, a few weeks ago and with a 2.2 alpha and RH 7.1, caused
> printing to stop working due to an expected module not being in the 2.2
> alpha (which one...I don't know).

Right. Just discovered that yesterday: I also broke printing!

At this point I'm fully willing to say that RedHat has simply put out a
broken python setup. I fail to see one good reason for the current mess, with
system-level things (like printing) needing python 1.5 to be the default and
be called python.

It is NOT practical to expect users to write their scripts using
#!/usr/bin/env python2, simply because that's a weird, redhat only default
that breaks everywhere else. And what of code they download? Now they have to
manually inspect every script they get from the web to replace
python->python2? That's plain moronic.

If redhat is too lazy to upgrade their code in anaconda and other tools to
use python2, at least they could have the courtesy of putting explicitly
python1.5 calls in their OWN stuff, instead of forcing upon their users a
broken convention.

I normally use mandrake (had been away from redhat for years) and only last
week was forced to deal with redhat again. What an ugly, messy excuse for a
linux distribution.

cheers,