vi or emacs for editing Python on Linux?

Michael Thompson mike at spam.block.primeval.demon.co.uk
Sun Dec 23 12:18:39 EST 2001

Hi,

I don't think the 'learn vi as it is everywhere' argument to be bogus.  If
you work in
a large company and support UNIX machines scattered all over the world then
the availability of vi is something you can depend on. Furthermore it is a
powerful
efficient editor and works well over slow network connections! Obviously one
can
configure their own personal workstation to their own tastes. Reconfiguring
company
or even customer machines usually isn't an option!

Regards,
Mike Thompson

"Steve Lamb" <grey at despair.dmiyu.org> wrote in message
news:slrna27sdn.5ek.grey at teleute.dmiyu.org...
>      I know this is a large quote but the context is needed.  The problem
with
> this suggestion is, as you said, you need your bindings.  Now I'm not
going to
> pull the typical "learn vi since it is everywhere" schtick.  I found it
bogus
> when it was spit in my face and I most certainly will not fire it off
against
> anyone else.  No, what I want to do is tell my path on getting to vim.
What