the purpose of this list???

Fernando Pérez fperez528 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 2 12:18:03 EST 2001

Gabe Newcomb wrote:

> So I just joined the list an hour ago. I've read 4 of the messages
> and half of them involve some form of flaming. If we're going to
> argue about how to do something, that's one thing, but please,
> people, if you're trying to make points just to preserve your image,
> give it a rest. It's a waste of all our time.

Well, not trying to sound snotty or anything, but: you've read 4
messages in a list that generates around 400 per day, 'half' (that
is, a wholesome *2*) are flames and you conclude this is a flamer's
list? One simple suggestion: spend a few days on it, see if you get
useful information concerning Python questions, and *then* decide.

It's called 'collecting statistics': from a sample of 4 messages you
can not say *absolutely anything statistically meaningful* concerning
the traffic on a list of this volume.

In the long term, chances are you'll find (as most of us seem to)
that this list provides *a lot* of very informative, intelligent
discussion, useful python tricks and debate on the language at large.
But you'll have to read more than 4 messages to notice that.

Cheers,

f.