Detection of subsequent data by poll()

Rupert Scammell rupe at metro.yak.net
Wed Dec 5 16:03:58 EST 2001

I recently wrote a program that uses the select.poll() method in order
check for incoming data on multiple listening sockets.  When I open a
connection to one of the listening sockets (e.g. via telnet), the
program accepts the first item of data sent (a character string with a
trailing CRLF).  However, subsequent calls to poll() never appear to
detect more strings sent in the same connection to this socket.  The
file descriptors for the sockets are all correctly registered with the
poll object.

Is there a way to make poll() detect this incoming data without having
to close and re-open a connection to the socket in question each time?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,

--- Rupert

Rupert Scammell