COM with Python.

Ken Guest kwg at renre-europe.com
Fri Dec 7 11:18:51 EST 2001

I'm new to coding com objects in Python and am trying to figure out why
I keep getting a Run Time error 429  (ActiveX component can't create
Object) raised by VB's CreateObject function.
Everything seems to register ok (as far as registering as a COM server
anyways). But I keep getting either that error, or python import related
errors.

I've tried using SimpleCOMServer.py from chapter 5 of the "Programming
on Win32" book and attempting to create a PythonUtilities object and
that worked fine.

could somebody please help me on this one? thanks.

k.

===vb code===
Dim svr As Object
Set svr = VBA.CreateObject("renre.GPS_layerstats.Objects.COMRunObject")

===python code below====

---Objects.py-----
class RunObject:
        def __init__(self):
                self._results = None

        def test(self):
                return "test"

class COMRunObject(RunObject):
        """COM version of the RunObject."""
        _reg_clsid_ = '{358FD80E-1190-40A7-9796-D5DBDB52f580}'
        _reg_desc_ = "renre.GPS_layerstats.Objects"
        _reg_progid_ = "renre.GPS_layerstats.Objects"
        _reg_class_spec_= "renre.GPS_layerstats.Objects.COMRunObject"
        _public_methods_ = ["test"
                           ]
        def __init__(self):
                self._robj = RunObject()
                self.userNameSpace = {'RunObject':self._robj}

----app.py----
import Objects

if __name__ == __main__:
if os_name == "nt":
import win32com.server.register
win32com.server.register.UseCommandLine(Objects.COMRunObject)

--
The duck quacks.