/usr/bin/env: python: No such file or directory

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Tue Dec 18 15:24:02 EST 2001

Fernando Pérez <fperez528 at yahoo.com> writes:

> It is NOT practical to expect users to write their scripts using
> #!/usr/bin/env python2, simply because that's a weird, redhat only
> default that breaks everywhere else. And what of code they download?
> Now they have to manually inspect every script they get from the web
> to replace python->python2? That's plain moronic.

No, those scripts should use distutils, which will get it right when
it installs them.

$ python2 setup.py install --prefix=$HOME

Everyone should use distutils.  All the time.

Cheers,
M.

--
  > Why are we talking about bricks and concrete in a lisp newsgroup?
  After long experiment it was found preferable to talking about why
  Lisp is slower than C++...
                        -- Duane Rettig & Tim Bradshaw, comp.lang.lisp