MimeWriter and smtplib: long list of 'To:' recipients

Gillou nospam at bigfoot.com
Mon Dec 24 10:35:54 EST 2001

Steve,

Thanks a lot for your reply. Here is some more information...

> Perhaps a little more information would be helpful.
>
> Is the MimeWriter library apparently formatting a correct message? If so,
> presumably the error occurs in smtplib? If so, can you give us the error
> message and traceback, plus some of the code surrounding the point of
error?

This code does not trigger any exception. In debug mode, the smtp server did
not reply anything noticeable pertinent to my problem.

> If everything appears to happen correctly in your Python program but you
get
> bounce mails because some of the messages cannot be delivered (even though
> you are pretty sure the addresses are good) then you have an ISP-related
> issue, which you will typically only solve by talking with the ISP's
> technical support folk (assuming, that is, that they have any).

I sent a mail to a long list of recipients with different mail clients (IE5
and StarOffice mail). The difference I noticed is that these mail clients
split the "To" line in multiple lines, the second line (and following)
beginning with some spaces like this:

To: mymother at herisp.net, mygirlfriend at bed.org,
    mybrother at home.com, myboss at hell.org

When the Mimewriter.addheader('To', samelistofrecipients) writes all in one
long line.

Is there some limitations in the SMTP protocol (or other related rfc)
regarding the length of an header line ?

Happy Christams

--Gilles