Dr. Dobb's Python-URL! - weekly Python news and links (Dec 10)

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.net
Mon Dec 10 16:14:44 EST 2001

comp.lang.python:  where else are programmers so ready to compute
femtosecond intervals?

    Since Python Enhancement Proposals (PEPs) became part of the process
    of improving Python, quite a few have been floated, flamed and even
    accepted and appreciated. James Althoff isn't merely content to wait
    for others to polish PEP 276, however, which wants to let you write
    your integer ranges in a nicer way.
        http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=mailman.1007424313.28420.python-list%40python.org

    Bizarre "bug or feature" of the week goes to request #210830 -
    available at...
        http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=5470&atid=105470&func=detail&aid=210830
        http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=6ac595a2.0112041944.75dab62b%
    40posting.google.com&rnum=1

    On the subject of "debugging for dummies", some interesting tricks
    with Michael Hudson's pyrepl are showcased. If you've been happy with
    trace statements and just aren't motivated to set up that debugger,
    then this might be for you!
        http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3b091a1c.0112060650.1f185978%40posting.google.com

    The Refereed Paper Track of IPC10--titles, authors, Best Paper
    Award nominations, ...--is complete.
        http://www.python10.org/p10-paperTrack1.html

    Providing COM servers on Windows platforms isn't hard when Duncan
    Booth posts an example of how it can be done.
        http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=Xns916E9F71480C7duncanrcpcouk%40127.0.0.1

    Duncan's code must be formatted with spaces in order to survive the
    ravages of the Internet, which brings us to a point of contention...
    tabs or spaces - which form of indentation should be banned?! Fredrik
    Lundh attempts to draw the discussion to a close, inadvertently
    revealing his own indentation preference.
        http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=lrTO7.728%24l93.293881%40newsb.telia.net

    In the heat of the discussion light emerges from Tony J Ibbs' corner
    of the debating chamber, where he refers us to the work of Logilab;
    happen if people started to plug all these XML tools together...
        http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=mailman.1007633352.28265.python-list%40python.org
        http://www.logilab.org/pypasax/

    ActiveState releases Visual Python 1.0, the Python plugin to Visual
    Studio .NET.  Features include:  syntax-aware editor, auto-indenting,
    code folding, Python-specific debugger, ...
        http://www.ActiveState.com/VisualPython

    Guido and friends are not the only people inspired by the "original"
    Python. Some of the results are more directly derived from the works
    of the comedy team in question, though. (Sadly, you'll need access
    to "proprietary" video players to get the benefit of this final URL
    for the week.)
        http://www.lego.com/eng/studios/studioinfo/montypython.as

Everything you want is probably one or two clicks away in these pages:

    Python.org's Python Language Website is the traditional
    center of Pythonia
        http://www.python.org
    Notice especially the master FAQ
        http://www.python.org/doc/FAQ.html

    PythonWare complements the digest you're reading with the
    daily python url
         http://www.pythonware.com/daily

    comp.lang.python.announce announces new Python software.  Be
    sure to scan this newly-revitalized newsgroup at least weekly.
        http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=comp.lang.python.announce

    Michael Hudson continued Andrew Kuchling's marvelous tradition
    of summarizing action on the python-dev mailing list once every
    other week, into July 2001.  Any volunteers to re-start this
    valuable series?
        http://starship.python.net/crew/mwh/summaries/
        http://www.amk.ca/python/dev

    The Vaults of Parnassus ambitiously collect Python resources
        http://www.vex.net/~x/parnassus/

    Much of Python's real work takes place on Special-Interest Group
    mailing lists
        http://www.python.org/sigs/

    The Python Software Foundation has replaced the Python Consortium
    as an independent nexus of activity
        http://www.python.org/psf/

    Cetus does much of the same
        http://www.cetus-links.de/oo_python.html

    Python FAQTS
        http://python.faqts.com/

    The old Python "To-Do List" now lives principally in a
    SourceForge reincarnation.
	http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=355470&group_id=5470&func=browse
	http://python.sourceforge.net/peps/pep-0042.html

    Python Journal is at work on its second issue
        http://www.pythonjournal.com

    Links2Go is a new semi-automated link collection; it's impressive
    what AI can generate
        http://www.links2go.com/search?search=python

    Tenth International Python Conference
        http://www.python10.org

    Archive probing tricks of the trade:
        http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=comp.lang.python&num=100
        http://groups.google.com/groups?meta=site%3Dgroups%26group%3Dcomp.lang.python.*

Previous - (U)se the (R)esource, (L)uke! - messages are listed here:
  http://www.ddj.com/topics/pythonurl/
  http://purl.org/thecliff/python/url.html (dormant)
or
  http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_q=+Python-URL!&as_ugroup=comp.lang.python

Suggestions/corrections for next week's posting are always welcome.
[http://www.egroups.com/list/python-url-leads/ is hibernating.  Just
e-mail us ideas directly.]

To receive a new issue of this posting in e-mail each Monday morning,
ask <claird at neosoft.com> to subscribe.  Mention "Python-URL!".

-- The Python-URL! Team--

Dr. Dobb's Journal (http://www.ddj.com) is pleased to participate in and
sponsor the "Python-URL!" project.