Is Python suitable for some binary file editing?

David Rollo drollo at cns.net.au
Tue Dec 4 21:19:09 EST 2001

Hi

I am considering as a beginning Python project an iterative task
involving conversion of a set of image files to an alternative format.
The file conversion is simply making the same change to a handful of
characters at a particular offset, and saving under a new filename. It
would be repeated several thousand times, looping through a hierarchical
directory structure in Windows, editing and renaming as it went.

Does this sound like the sort of task that Python is suited to? I had
planned to do it in Java, but wondered if this might be the time to cut
teeth in Python.

Any pointers to existing code base or similar resources would be
welcome.

Thanks

David Rollo