help with installing pymat on linux RH7.1

Les Ander citykid at nospam.edu
Mon Dec 10 02:33:47 EST 2001

Hi, i am new to python and have a question regarding module installation.
I downloaded the pymat.cpp (interface to MATLAB) which is to be
compiled into pymatmodule.so

on my machine (i386, RH7.1)
matlab headers are in /usr/local/extern/include
matlab libs are in /usr/local/extern/lib/glnx/
numpy is in /usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/Numeric

I did the following:

step1: g++ -o pymat.o -c pymat.cpp -I/usr/include/python1.5
                                   -I/usr/include/python1.5/Numeric
                                   -I/usr/local/extern/include

step2: g++ -shared -o pymatmodule.so pymat.o
     -L/usr/local/extern/lib/glnx86 -leng -lmx -lmat -lmi -lut
(matlab libraries are: libeng.so, libmx.so, libmat.so, libmi.so, libut.so)

step3: install -c pymatmodule.so /usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages

But in the python interpreter when i try to import pymat
i get :
ImportError: libeng.so: cannot load shared object file: No such file or
directory

this is refering to the matlabs libeng.so library

I don't know how to fix this, can some one suggest someway to fix this?
thanks
les