stackless python

Michael Hudson mamwh at python.net
Wed Dec 19 16:56:54 EST 2001

"John DeWeese" <deweese at usc.edu> writes:

> Hello, I'm a python newbie interested in using stackless python to
> support hundreds of simulation objects for a game.

Cool.

> I've checked out various articles and it sounds great, and I've
> visited stackless.com. Seems that branch is becoming a bit dated.

Well what's there works well enough, I believe.  But yes, you're
right.

> I also see that some features such as generators (not relevant to
> me) have made it into python 2.2. So, what's up, can anyone share
> their experiences regarding stackless python, micro-threads, etc.?

What do you want to know?  As you see development on stackless seems
largely to be stalled, but I believe there are plenty of people still
using it.

OTOH, the chances of seeing stackless python or something like it in
the core are currently in the vanishing-to-nil range.  We went round
with this one on the newsgroup a few weeks back -- google is your
friend here -- and the conclusion was there was noone willing and able
to do the enormous amount of work required.  CT has done the first 90%
of the work, but there's still the other 90% to go, and even if the
work was done, it's far from certain that Guido would accept the
changes anyway.

Cheers,
M.