REPOST: Re: State of the SysAd art (was: vi or emacs for editing Python on Linux?)

Steve Lamb grey at despair.dmiyu.org
Thu Dec 27 21:13:52 EST 2001

On 27 Dec 2001 19:53:22 -0600, Cameron Laird <claird at starbase.neosoft.com>
wrote:
> I entirely agree that in-place editing is not strictly necessary.  I was
> arguing for ssh, CVS, and IP reacha- bility while some readers were ...
> well, younger than they are now.  At the same time, I ask for tolerance of
> our brethren who cope with more conservative computing regimes.

    Which is why I wrote my response in the neutral and left out the entire
"vi is everywhere" argument that most vi people trot out.  The editor,
especially vim, stands on its own without resorting to bogus arguments that
are no longer applicable in anything remotely approaching the majority of
cases.

    To email: Don't despair!   |  -- Lenny Nero, Strange Days

========= WAS CANCELLED BY =======: