mod_python vs mod_snake

Allan M. Wind allanwind at mediaone.net
Wed Dec 12 21:05:29 EST 2001

On 2001-12-12 14:44:25, Kragen Sitaker wrote:
> allanwind at mediaone.net (Allan M. Wind) writes:
> > I like mod_snake more (in part because it claims support for Apache
> > 2.x), but you might find that there are more people using mod_python
> > (e.g. more community knowledge / support).  PyApache would also satisfy
> > your need from how you describe your need and seem to most mature.
>
> It sounds like you've tried all three.  Is that correct, and what was
> your experience like?

Yes, I have tried all 3.

It is really subjective, but I disliked mod_python and instead used
mod_snake for which I have written an authentication module and CGIs
against (it is lot easier in python against mod_snake than C).  I like
the fact that mod_snake runs standard CGIs (just realize that
instantiation of default values in function calls works different than
expected with a persistent CGI).  That said, mod_snake has bugs ;-)

PyApache is not very well documented and the text file that is there
seems out of date, it's persistency mechanism relies on a special
variable name.  PyApache does have a really nice feature of being able
to run with only the compiled code for your CGIs (e.g. don't
need to have your source laying around).

I might end up writing my own, "thinner" than mod_snake.

/Allan
Allan M. Wind			email: allanwind at mediaone.net
P.O. Box 2022			finger: awind at digit-safe.dyndns.org (GPG/PGP)
Woburn, MA 01888-0022