Python evangelists unite!

Peter Milliken peter.milliken at gtech.com
Mon Dec 3 22:51:27 EST 2001

Agreed Jim :-), there are many shades of grey in between. Note that I have
never said that you *can't* do it in Python - just that I believe there are
better languages for larger programs i.e. the cost of production would be
less in some languages than if you did it in Python - this must also be
tempered with exactly what you are coding i.e. Python is very, very good at
certain things, therefore if your program would benefit from those features
of the language then by all means - there are rarely any absolutes in this
world :-).

Just like you can produce large programs in C++ (but I wouldn't personally
:-)) - just out of curiousity, why was the C++ version of the product
replaced by a Jython version? Too difficult/expensive to update to the new
requirements?

Any ideas of what the maintenance costs of the C++ version were in
comparison to any other language? Was the Jython version cheaper, more
expensive or the same in terms of productions costs as the C++ version? What
were the problems encountered by the various teams using Jython? It has
always interested me what the selection process is in choosing a language
for a project - do you know how and why Jython was chosen? Was it because of
popular aclaim or was some formal comparision of various languages
performed? If there was some formal selection process, what languages were
considered? What features of Jython caused it to be selected? i.e. what
features where missing in the other languages under consideration.

Peter