A Python bytecode assember?

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Mon Dec 3 05:52:18 EST 2001

Daniel Yoo <dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu> writes:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm planning to do a small project with Python's bytecode, and I'd
> like to know if anyone's written a bytecode assember for it?

I think my crapy one in bytecodehacks is the only one.

> I've taken a look at Michael Hudson's 'bytecodehacks' package at:
>
>     http://bytecodehacks.sourceforge.net/
>
> but the code looks like it hasn't been touched since March 2000.

That's about right.

> Can anyone talk about their experiences with bytecodehacks?

What do you want to know? :)

> I need a bytecode assember that supports jumps, so if someone's
> hacked up bytecodehacks to support this, I'll be a very happy
> person.

bytecodehacks might be a reasonable start for something like this, but
you'd probably want to do work to support newer Pythons.  I'm unlikely
to get round to this.

Jeremy Hylton's compiler package may be a better bet.

Cheers,
M.

--
  If you give someone Fortran, he has Fortran.
  If you give someone Lisp, he has any language he pleases.