REPOST: Re: Python and Ruby: a comparison

Ron Stephens rdsteph at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 29 19:43:44 EST 2001

Very interesting idea. Unfortunately, I doubt if it woudl be possible. For one
thing, very few people would be willing to compromise on syntax. Ruby folks
would rightfully be loath to give up their end-begin block delimiters, and
likewise we Python folks would not want o give up our whitespace block
delimiters.

Also, backwards portability would be a big problem.

However, for what its worth, the PERL 6 implements, whom I met and conversed
with at the MIT Lightweight Languages conference, are definitely truing, as a
goal, to create a PERL 6 runtime environment that can easily and credibly,
someday later on, run Perl, Ruby, and Python. I suppose that could be additional
runtime environments for these languages, just like Jython is an additional
runtime environment for Python. Maybe that could work, and give some of the
advantages of "bringing the tow (or , in this case, three) streams if
development back togethers into one mighty river.

I am a doubter about this, btu who knows? By the way, their is a very
interesting email list spawned form that conference that you and others might be
interested in, Conrad, it has had quite a bit of discussion about Ruby and
python both, among many many other languages, and is inhabited by creators of
many language and other worthy and redoubtable academic computer scientists
(mostly LIsp-Scheme gurus ;-)).. The list is at ll1-discuss at ai.mit.edu and i
believe that there is at least a partial archive of old messages at
http://www.ai.mit.edu/~gregs/ll1-discuss-archive-html/threads.html which again,
contains many Ruby threads, or at least threads comparing Ruby to other
languages (and Python also ;-))))

========= WAS CANCELLED BY =======: