MimeWriter and smtplib: long list of 'To:' recipients

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Fri Dec 21 12:00:33 EST 2001

"Gillou" <nospam at bigfoot.com> wrote in message
news:9vvks6$27qr$1 at norfair.nerim.net...
> Hi,
>
> My application sends mail to a list of 'To' recipients but there are
> problems when the list is long.
> I have no access to the Postfix error log so I dunno what's the problem.
All
> recipients addresses are OK.
> I use the MimeWriter like this:
>
> fullmail = StringIO()
> mw = MimeWriter(fullmail)
> mw.addheader('To', 'jdoe at mailme.com, sombody at somewhere.com,
> lotsofothers at lotsofdomains.com')
> # Add other headers
> mw.endheaders()
>
> Is there something I missed ?

Perhaps a little more information would be helpful.

Is the MimeWriter library apparently formatting a correct message? If so,
presumably the error occurs in smtplib? If so, can you give us the error
message and traceback, plus some of the code surrounding the point of error?

If everything appears to happen correctly in your Python program but you get
bounce mails because some of the messages cannot be delivered (even though
you are pretty sure the addresses are good) then you have an ISP-related
issue, which you will typically only solve by talking with the ISP's
technical support folk (assuming, that is, that they have any).

regards
 Steve
--
http://www.holdenweb.com/