lost interest?

Chris Barker chrishbarker at attbi.com
Mon Dec 10 13:28:13 EST 2001

Justin Sheehy wrote:

> I'd ask a different question from yours.  Why is it a problem that
> Python doesn't have an equivalent to CPAN?  "Perl has it" isn't
> enough.  In order for a number of people to put time and work into
> this, it has to pose enough of a problem in its absence that those
> people will have real motivation to make it happen.

A big problem I have seen is people not wanting to use exactly the
module they really nedd because it is "not part of the standard
distirubion". If it was a whole lot easier to find, get and install
third-party packages, perhaps this concern would go away.

I am working on a program with Python right now. When we upgraded to
2.1, we had to find and install: Python, Numeric, mxDateTime, PIL, and
wxPython. On both Linux and Windows machines. I would have been a whole
lot happier it I could have gotten all that from one place!

By the way, where can I find info about Siphon?

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker,
Ph.D.